Cnverg is, first and foremost, a team collaboration tool. Cnverg allows teams to plan and strategize together as if they were in the same room - no matter where in the world they happen to be. This comprehensive guide will take you through the ins and outs of creating new teams, adding members, and managing both. Use the links below to skip ahead or simply read on.
- Creating a New Team
- Inviting Team Members
- Managing Team Members
- Creating Team Spaces
- Managing Team Spaces
- Team Settings
- Team Billing
Cnverg Team Overview
Cnverg recognizes two distinct types of Accounts: individual User Accounts and Team Accounts. User Accounts are linked to Team Accounts through Memberships.
A Cnverg Team is an entirely separate entity with its own spaces, settings, billing, and features. When individual Cnverg Users join a team, they become Members of that team. A Cnverg Team must have at least 1 Member.
The User who creates the Team automatically becomes its first Member and is designated the team Owner. By default, the Owner has full administrative privileges, including the ability to manage other team members (see Managing Team Members), create new team spaces (see Creating Team Spaces), manage billing (see Team Billing) and manage the team itself (see Team Settings). These administrative privileges may be granted to any and all Members of the team (see Managing Team Members for more information) as the Owner sees fit.
An individual User Account (which is free) is required before you can create or join a team. The team Owner is the only Member who may not be removed from the team.
Creating a New Team
- In Cnverg, open the side panel by clicking the icon in the top-left corner and navigate to the Teams page.
- Here you can see all the teams of which you are a member. Create a new Team by clicking on the round blue button.
- You will be taken to the Create a Team page. Under the section titled Set up the Team, give your team a name. The team name can be anything you want but may only contain letters, numbers, and spaces.
- By default, billing receipts will be delivered to the email address of the User creating the team. If billing receipts should be delivered to a different email address, edit it now.
- Under Choose a plan for your Team, select your plan. All plans come with a 14-day Free Trial. If you already started a trial, or a previous trial has expired, you will not be able to trail again and will be asked to enter your credit card information.
- Select which integration(s) you want to associate with this team account. Your choice is permanent. If you don't want to select your integration(s) at this time, you may do so later in the team's Settings page.
- Press the Create Team button to confirm your team.
That's it! You will immediately be taken to your new team's Member page where you can begin inviting new team members.
Inviting Team Members
Inviting team members to your new Cnverg team is straightforward and simple. The first step is to navigate to the Members page for the team to which you want to invite members. If you just created the team then you will be redirected to the Members page automatically.
In the list of members you will see yourself. All of the administrative privileges will be activated for you automatically (see Managing Team Members for more information). To invite new members, follow these steps:
- Create a new invitation by clicking on the round blue button.
- When the Invite to this Team dialogue opens, enter the email address of the team members you wish to include in the invitation.
- Invitations can either be Private or Public.
- Private invitations are linked to individual email addresses and can only be accepted by the User Accounts linked to those addresses. A user who attempts to accept an invitation using a different email address will be blocked.
- Public invitations can be accepted by anyone with access to the invite link.
- When you have finished adding all of your team members' email addresses, click the Send button.
- A new Invitation card will appear showing the list of individuals you invited.
- At the top of the Invitation card you will find an Invitation Link. This link can be copy and shared through whatever communications platform your team uses. Any invitee who clicks the link will be asked to authenticate their account (or create an account if they don't already have one).
- The icon at the bottom of the Invitation card shows what kind of invitation it is. Private invitations are designated by a lock icon. Public invitations are designated by a globe icon.
- All invitations are time limited for security purposes.
- If the time limit runs out on the invitation, you can simply create a new one.
- You may cancel a pending invitation at any time by clicking on the red "x" in the corner of the invitation card.
- An invitation email will be sent to each member you invited and will look like this:
- As users accept your invitation, they will appear in the list of team members. Users who have not yet accepted the invitation will continue to appear as pending on the invitation card.
Managing Team Members
You've invited your team and they've all accepted. Your team Members page should now look something like this:
Each team member is represented by a card. On each card is a picture of the member, his or her name and role, a list of privileges to which they may be granted access, and a Remove Member button. You may grant or revoke privileges to each member by clicking on each icon. Clicking on a grey icon will grant the privilege, turning it blue. Clicking on a blue icon will revoke the privilege, turning it grey.
At least one team member must have Manage Members privileges.
Each privilege is described below:
- Manage Members: this is effectively Administrative control. Members with this privilege can invite and remove members and grant or revoke all other privileges.
- Add Spaces: members with this privilege may create new team spaces.
- Manage Billing: members with this privilege may add, change or remove payment methods and change the team plan.
- Manage Team: members with this privilege may change the team name, change the billing receipt address, and select integrations for the team. It is important to note that members with this privilege may also delete the team entirely.
Security Note: a member with Manage Members privileges becomes an admin for the team. He or she may grant all other privileges to themselves if they want. If your security policy requires one team member to maintain administrative control over your entire team then only one team member should have Manage Members privileges.
If you click the Remove Member button, you will be asked to confirm your choice. If you remove a member and then decide later to add them back, simply create a new invitation for them.
Creating a New Team Space
As discussed previously, team spaces are separate and distinct from individual user spaces. Team spaces will only appear in the team dashboard and will not appear in the list of your personal spaces.
To create a new space you must first navigate to the team dashboard. You can get there by either choosing Spaces from the navigation drop down on the left side of any team page or by selecting the team name from the drop down on the right side of the header.
The team dashboard will look like this:
From here you can create new spaces, filter the view to find specific spaces, and see who the current team members are.
- To create a new space, click on the round blue button.
- The New Space dialogue will appear. Give your new space a name.
- If you have the GitHub integration, you can connect GitHub to your new space by clicking on the GitHub icon and selecting a repo (multi-repo support is coming soon).
- Decide which privileges to give to each team member (see Managing Team Spaces for more information).
- Click on the Create button to confirm your space.
When you create the space, a new card for that space will appear on the dashboard.
NOTE: All team members who have viewing privileges (see Managing Team Spaces for more information) will be able to access the new space.
Managing Team Spaces
Each team space is represented by a card which looks like this:
On each card is the title of the space along with information about when the space was created and when it was most recently active. In the upper right corner is the pallet which will allow you to change the color of the card. Below that are icons representing all of the integrations (if any) associated with the space. At the bottom left of the card are 3 icons. They are, from left to right:
- Delete Space: permanently deletes a space, including all data contained within it. You will be asked to confirm your choice before proceeding.
- Copy Space: will create an exact duplicate of the space.
- Manage Access: administrative privileges for this specific space (see below)
To open the space, click on the round blue button.
You may set administrative privileges for the space at the time you create it or you may edit them later by clicking on the Manage Access button on the space card, which is denoted by the shield icon. Clicking on the button will open the Manage Access dialogue for this specific space.
By default, the creator of the space has full administrative privileges, including the ability to view and delete the space, and change the color or title of the space. These administrative privileges may also be granted to any and all Members of the team as the creator sees fit.
At least one team member must have both Manage Access and View Space privileges for each space.
Each privilege is described below:
- View Space: members with this privilege will be able to see the space in the dashboard.
- Delete Space: members with this privilege may permanently delete the space.
- Change Color: members with this privilege may change the color of the space card.
- Edit Title: members with this privilege may change the title of the space. Double click on the card title to edit it.
- Manage Access: members with this privilege may grant or revoke all other privileges to all other members.
The team Settings page may be accessed by selecting Settings from the navigation drop down on the upper left side of any team page. The Settings page looks like this:
On the left side is the Team Information section and on the right side are the Delete Team and Integrations sections. Users with Manage Team privileges may access all of these sections and make changes (see Managing Team Members for more information).
The Team Information section includes the Team Name and the email address to which billing receipts will be sent. To edit, simply enter new values into the fields and click on the Save Info button.
Deleting a team is permanent and all associated team spaces, as well as all of the data within those spaces, will be lost forever. You will be asked to confirm your selection before you will be allowed to proceed. Deleting a team will automatically cancel your subscription.
The Integrations section shows you which, if any, external applications are associated with your team. If you have additional integrations available to you, you may select them here.
The team Billing page may be accessed by selecting Billing from the navigation drop down on the upper left side of any team page. The Billing page looks like this:
The different sections of the Billing page are Account Information, Payment Methods, Limits, and Coupons. You may also change your team Plan from this page. Users with Manage Billing privileges may access all of these sections and make changes (see Managing Team Members for more information).
The Account Information section includes information about the team Plan including the plan name, billing interval (monthly or yearly), and the email address to which billing receipts will be sent.
The Payment Methods section shows which credit card, if any, is associated with the Team Account. To add a new Payment Method, click on the round blue button and enter your credit card information into the dialogue that pops up. To remove a payment method, click on the red "x". You will be asked to confirm your choice.
If your trial has ended and you do not have a valid payment method associated with the Team Account, you will be locked out of the team until you add a new payment method.
The Limits section shows the limits for the Plan the team is on and how close you are to reaching those limits.
You may redeem any discount coupons you receive in the Coupons section.
At any time, you may change the Plan the team is on. Click on the Change Plan button to open the Select Plan dialogue.
- From the drop down, select a new plan.
- Choose a billing interval
- Add a payment method if you do not already have one.
- Click "Confirm Change" when you are finished.
The Cnverg Teams feature balances flexibility and ease of use with security and risk management. Setting up your team will take some consideration on your part but there's a very good reason for that. Cnverg is trusted by thousands of companies worldwide and we take our responsibilities to safeguard your data very seriously. If you ever wonder why we chose to do something a certain way, the answer is most likely "because security".
Over the following months, you will see a ton of additional features added to make our new Teams feature even better. To stay up to date on the latest developments, please subscribe to our mailing list.
[contact-form][contact-field label="Name" type="name" /][contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="1" /][contact-field label="Comment" type="textarea" /][/contact-form]
Forward this How To guide to other members of your team who want to get started with Cnverg.